Sunday, May 24, 2015

MyNotes: UI Update

I wasn’t happy with the color filter toolbar.  It was a little too blocky and monolithic:


I originally planned to do the color filter toolbar down the long side of the device. At some time I decided it should be part of the upper toolbar.   After playing with it a bit, I decided I like the look of the color filter toolbar being on the side.  It feels less heavy and looks cleaner:


I removed all of the old Color Filter Toolbar classes and resources.  If you want to known which ones got the ax then consult the commit summary for the gory details.

Do to the number of changes I am going to break them down over the next few blog entries.


The commit for these changes can be found at

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

MyNotes : Logging Made Easier

Before I proceed much further I want to bring in a logging framework.  I am going to use Hugo.  It provides everything I want for the trace logging and it does it with a single annotation which is very nice.  I included my steps to incorporate below, but I really just followed the setup instructions provided on the website.

MyNotesProject build.gradle file:

dependencies {
classpath 'com.jakewharton.hugo:hugo-plugin:1.2.1'

And then I add the following line into the MyNotes and Common Library module build.gradle file:

apply plugin: 'com.jakewharton.hugo'

To trace log a method I just have to add the following annotation to the method: @DebugLog.


If I add the annotation to the MainActivity onCreate method:

public Loader<List<Note>> onCreateLoader(final int id, final Bundle args) {
return new FilteredNoteLoader(this);

Then I automatically get the following log entry in my logcat:

com.fsk.mynotes I/art﹕ Not late-enabling -Xcheck:jni (already on)
com.fsk.mynotes V/MainActivity﹕ ⇢ onCreateLoader(id=0, args=null)
com.fsk.mynotes V/MainActivity﹕ ⇠ onCreateLoader [364ms] = FilteredNoteLoader{389f6776 id=0}

com.fsk.mynotes D/OpenGLRenderer﹕ Render dirty regions requested: true


The commits for these changes can be found here.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Unexpected Spring Cleaning

I have been really busy lately, but I had a nice lull last week and meant to use for two things:

  • Crank out the next big change in MyNotes
  • Setup my shiny new phone.

When I finally settled in to do some real work, I discovered that my development environment was corrupted.  I spent a couple of hours trying to fix it and then decided that a scorched earth policy would be quicker.  So instead of doing interesting work, I spent the day deleting and reinstalling all of my development tools.

 Sad smile

On the plus side, I did get more time to play with my new toy (err,..I mean phone) and binge watched the Lord of the Rings movies.  So at least it wasn’t a total loss.   Now I just have to wait for the next lull to get more work done…